Posted on 01/08/2018
Superannuation is a funny thing. You can’t access it until you retire, so for many of us, it’s ‘set and forget’. However, super is incredibly important – in fact, it may be one of your more significant assets come retirement, so it might be worth giving your super account the love and attention it deserves!
Having a more prosperous future can be dependent upon the super fund that you’re with, and how you engage with your super.
Give your super the love and attention it needs! Here are five reasons why Statewide Super may be a great choice for you and your superannuation.
1. Our investment performance is among the best in the country*
An important consideration when selecting a super fund is investment performance.
The money in your super account is invested by your fund – therefore, joining a super fund with a history of robust investment returns is something you should consider. There are multitudes of super funds in Australia, each of whom have different investment performance. Doing your due diligence may mean you accrue more in your super account over your lifetime.
Statewide Super has been recognised as one of the best performing super funds in the country! Our default MySuper investment option on average returned 8.92% p.a. over five years to 31 October 2019*
The chart below shows the returns of Statewide Super’s MySuper option since inception relative to the median MySuper return.
*Source: SuperRatings Fund Crediting Rate Survey October 2019 – superratings.com.au/research. Assumptions: $100,000 invested in the Statewide MySuper investment option from 1 July 2013 to 31 October 2019, no contributions are made into the account in this period. Investment returns are net of investment fees, tax on investment income and administration fees. Other fees apply. See our ‘Fees and other costs’ booklet for more information. Investment returns can go up and down and are not guaranteed. All investments have risk, and past performance is not a reliable indicator of future performance. For more information on risks associated with investing, consider the “Risks of Super” and “How we invest your money” booklets available at statewide.com.au or by calling 1300 65 18 65.
2. We're an award-winning super fund, that's received top rating
The majority of Australian super funds are rated by independent rating agencies on a range of criteria, from investment performance and fees, to insurance and communications. These ratings provide an indication as to the overall quality of the super fund.
Statewide Super is proud to have been awarded a Platinum rating by SuperRatings, a 5-Apples rating by Chant West, as well as being one of only six super funds nationally to receive a 5-star rating with financial consumer organisation CANSTAR.^
3. We aim to make a difference - to our members, our community and the planet
These days, customers don’t just want to buy from organisations who are doing well – they want to align themselves with organisations who are doing good.
Statewide Super endeavours to make a difference to the sustainability of our world and make a significant positive impact to our communities. Inspired by our strong internal values, the fund supports a range of philanthropic projects, events and organisations that are creating positive change and transforming lives.
Our investment philosophy is also aligned with our values. Not only are Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) considerations taken into account in all investment decision-making, but Statewide Super is also a signatory to a variety of networks and associations including the United Nations Principles for Responsible Investment, the Investor Group on Climate Change, The Carbon Disclosure Project and The Australian Council of Superannuation Investors.
We are proud to live our values by encouraging staff to volunteer, by offsetting 100% of our carbon emissions annually, by continuing our Reconciliation Action Plan, and by being a champion for women’s sport in South Australia and the Northern Territory.
4. We’re local and take our personalised service seriously
As consumers, great service is something that we’re all after – whatever the product. As one of the few remaining financial institutions based in South Australia, but servicing members around the country, Statewide Super is passionate about providing our members with quality, local service – whether it’s face-to-face or over the phone.
Being ‘local’ means that we take an active interest in our local communities and invest back into the communities that support us. For example, we invest in South Australian infrastructure including Adelaide Airport and Flinders Ports. In the Northern Territory, we support indigenous football and for those members living in remote areas, our network of accredited financial advisors can talk to members about their Statewide Super account, wherever they may be located.
Another example of our commitment to providing local, personalised service is our dedicated Super Hub in Adelaide and our Darwin office, where our friendly staff can answer all your super questions.
5. You receive exclusive value-additions as a member
Statewide Super has thought long and hard about how we can reward members for their loyalty, and how we can enrich their experience with the fund. Here are just a few ways that that we are making members’ super experience, truly super!
1. As a member you have access to the Statewide Super Member Rewards program with hundreds of big name retailers. From Coles, Woolworths and Bunnings to JB Hi-Fi, Target and Freedom – the rewards program includes all your favourite brands!
2. Members can receive personal advice at no additional cost on their Statewide Super investment selection, insurance and contribution levels, either face-to-face or over the phone. Having this type of advice about your super strategy can make all the difference to your super balance at retirement.
3. The vast majority of Australians will claim that they don’t understand the basics when it comes to managing their finances. At Statewide Super, we take member education seriously and aim to empower members to make the best financial decisions. Check out our Super hub and schedule of education sessions, Tips on Money Management learning platform, our blog – Your Super Life, and our upcoming seminars available to members and non-members at no cost.
So if you’re considering a super fund, consider Statewide Super.