Skip to Main Content

Make a claim

We're here to help you through the claims process

From understanding the process and requirements for making a claim, through to assisting with making a claim - we will help you step through it.

How do I make a claim?

Statewide Super should be notified as soon as reasonably possible after an event that is likely to give rise to a Total and Permanent Disablement (TPD) or Income Protection (IP) claim. You can make a claim online from your secure Statewide Super Online account or by calling us and requesting the claims forms on 1300 65 18 65.

When making a claim we generally require information and evidence such as medical practitioner reports, employer reports and health certificates.

You are responsible for meeting any costs incurred in completing the claim forms. For TPD or income protection claims, the insurer may request additional information or require you to be examined by a medical practitioner or professional of the insurer’s choice. Generally, the insurer will pay the costs associated with additional information requests. It’s important that you provide all requested information, otherwise the claim process may be delayed.

In the event that you make a claim, the insurer reserves the right to investigate the claim including, but not limited to, conducting surveillance and requesting information and medical examinations.

Where will the funds be deposited?

Once your claim has been approved your insurance benefit will be invested in the cash option until it is paid to you or you make an investment choice.

What happens if my claim is declined?

In the event that your claim for insurance benefits is declined by the insurer, the trustee will review the insurer’s decision to ensure that the insurer has obtained sufficient and appropriate evidence to assess the claim within the terms and conditions of the relevant insurance policy. Should the trustee affirm the decision of the insurer to decline your claim, you will be advised of this in writing, giving you the option of submitting a complaint to Statewide Super’s Complaints Manager.

Your complaint will then be reviewed and any new evidence supplied will be submitted to the insurer for their assessment.

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the complaint, you may take your matter to the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA). You can contact AFCA on 1800 931 678 (free call). AFCA provides fair and independent financial services complaint resolution that is free to consumers.

How does a Death application work?

It is important that, in the event of your death, a relative or legal representative notifies Statewide Super so that the claims process can begin. Once we receive formal written notification of your death, your account balance will be transferred to the Statewide Super Cash option. After we have received a death certificate and any insurance benefit has been assessed and agreed upon by the insurer, the insurance benefit will be paid into the Statewide Super Cash option and will remain invested there until the trustee finalises payment of your death benefit.

For more information download the Insurance in your Super Booklet
Read now!